John Piper defines plagiarism simply as using “another’s ideas or words without the source.” Piper and staff in this article go on to point out the spiritual dangers of ministers of God’s truth being found guilty of the sin of plagiarism as it is (1) stealing and (2) bearing false witness. In other words, the creditability of a minister’s witness who is plagiarizes is at best lost and at worst he has lessened the truth of God’s power to an already skeptical world.
Therefore, Arlington Baptist College and the Graduate Theology School have established severe penalties for those students who are found guilty of plagiarism:
Immediate Academic Suspension for those who are found to have committed accidental occurrences of plagiarism for no less than
- Determining an accidental occurrence of plagiarism is determined by the Dean of the Graduate Theology School and the Academic Dean of Arlington Baptist College.
- Please note that Academic Suspension due to an occurrence of plagiarism does not put a hiatus on the six-year time limit for the student. His “clock” will continue while he is on suspension;
- A formal letter of apology written by the student to the school will be required at the end of the suspension period. This letter will be placed in the student’s permanent record;
- Immediate Explusion will be the punishment for any student who commits a second action of “accidental plagiarism”.
Immediate Expulsion for any student who, as judged by the Dean of the Graduate Theology School and the Academic Dean, engages in deliberate acts of
plagiarism (i.e., purchasing a paper online)
- Students who are expelled from the program due to plagiarism will not receive a refund on any monies paid to the program for the seminar.
- All transcripts from Arlington Baptist College will include a notation of why the student was dismissed from the program.
- Arlington Baptist College will not serve as a reference for any future employment opportunity and/or academic endeavor.
Please Note: A clear delineation of what is and what is not plagiarism will be covered in the Research and Writing Seminar.